The History of Haverford High School Cross Country. The 1940’s…
As the United States was engaged in the last year of World War ll the inaugural boys’ cross country team began at Haverford in 1944. They joined the Suburban League and had a 2 -3 record under Coach William Breuninger
In just their second year of existence, the 1945 cross country program produced an undefeated Suburban League championship. They also went on to place 2nd in the District meet and 2nd in the PIAA State meet. The squad numbered 20 runners. Leading runner was Stanley Johnson. He finished first in all league meets, first at the Marcus Hook Invitation, 2nd in the District Meet and 3rd at the PIAA State Championships. After graduation he continued to run at Princeton University. This Haverford Hall of Fame (HHOF) runner later served as a Penn Relays official for 40 years. By 1945 the schedule included Lower Merion and Upper Darby.
In I946 the team had a 1 point loss to Norristown to derail a second undefeated season finishing with a 3 – 1 dual record. They once again finished 2nd at Districts and 3rd at PIAA States.
1947 was another strong year with the team registering a 5 – 1 season. They finished two points behind Upper Darby in the Suburban League Championship meet. This team finished 2nd at Districts and had four runners who qualified for States. Leading runners were co-captains Ed Long and Finley Gorden. They were backed by Doug Johnson, Larry Wolle, Arnold Kring, and John Young.
In 1948 the team had an off year finishing with a 1 – 5 season. Top runner, Jim McFeeters finished 6th at Districts and qualified for States.
The 1949 team finished 3 and 2 with Bob Schwartz, Bill Reiland, and Bob Keiser among the leading runners. Other varsity runners were Richard DePaul, Fred Anton, Bidle Foster, and Walt Green.